North Bay News
Man fatally stabbed, others injured in gang fight
SAN RAFAEL -- A man was killed and two others were injured in what police believe was a gang-related altercation in San Rafael this evening, police said.
Police began receiving reports at around 4:40 p.m. of young men armed with sticks and bats running in the 600 block of B Street near the San Rafael Community Center, police said.
They also received reports of a white sedan chasing a red SUV in the Gerstle Park neighborhood.
Minutes later, a woman reported that an injured man had come to her home on Woods Street, asked her for help, and collapsed in her front yard, police said.
Officers responded to her home and found a 21-year-old Corte Madera man suffering from a stab wound. He was treated by paramedics and taken to Marin General Hospital where he was pronounced dead, according to police.
Two more injured men, 20 and 21 years old, arrived at the hospital, were treated for minor injuries and released into police custody for questioning.
Two other men who came into the hospital were also detained for questioning and the emergency room of Marin General Hospital was temporarily locked down as a precaution, police said.
Officers said that residents in the Gerstle Park neighborhood provided valuable information about the incident, including a detailed description of the vehicles involved which allowed police to set up a county-wide roadblock.
Law enforcement officials were on the lookout for a red Ford Explorer with a smashed windshield and a white Pontiac Grand Am, police said.
California Highway Patrol officers spotted the Ford Explorer in Corte Madera at around 5:15 p.m. and stopped it on Tamal Vista Drive, near the Department of Motor Vehicles office, police said.
The driver was detained for questioning and the Ford Explorer was impounded.
The Pontiac Grand Am, with license plate 3ULG274, had not been found as of 11:30 p.m. and is wanted by police as a felony vehicle involved in a homicide. The car's occupants are considered armed and dangerous, according to police.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to call police at (415) 485-3000. Tips can also be made online at www.bayareacrimestoppers.org or by using the silent witness tip form which can be found at www.srpd.org.
Anyone with information can also call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477, which can accommodate any language and callers may be eligible for a reward.
san rafael, crime, north bay news
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion 26 min ago
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- Windy conditions cause damage around Bay Area
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Group wants parents to boycott Harvey Milk Day
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Woman's cremated ashes washed away in fire
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
47 min ago