North Bay News
Police identify murder suspects and victim
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. -- An 18-year-old man and three juveniles have been arrested for the gang-related murder of a Corte Madera man, San Rafael police spokeswoman Margo Rohrbacher said this morning.
Police identified the victim of Wednesday's murder as 21-year-old Jeffrie Lee Olmstead.
Carlos Guiterrez, 18, a student at Madrone High School, was arrested at his Canal Street home just before 2 a.m., Rohrbacher said.
Two 17-year-old San Rafael boys, and an 16-year-old Novato boy also were arrested at their homes, Rohrbacher said.
One of the 17-year-old suspects attends Novato High School and the other two juveniles attend County Community School, Rohrbacher said.
All four suspects are documented gang members and will be booked for murder with gang enhancements, Rohrbacher said.
Police said the rival gang members armed with bats and sticks were seen running in the 600 block of B Street around 5 p.m. Wednesday.
They left the area in a white Pontiac Grand Am and a red Ford Explorer, Rohrbacher said. The Ford pursued the Pontiac west on Ross Street until the Pontiac turned onto Woods Street, a dead end.
The occupants of the vehicles then began fighting in the street, Rohrbacher said.
Three occupants in the Ford, including Olmstead, were stabbed. Olmstead told his friends to leave him and he went to a nearby house for help, Rohrbacher said.
The residents called 911 and gave Olmstead first aid but he collapsed in the front yard as the combatants drove away, Rohrbacher said.
Olmstead was pronounced dead at Marin General Hospital.
Two occupants of the Ford who had minor injuries were dropped off in the emergency room of the hospital. They were treated and released, Rohrbacher said.
Witnesses gave police descriptions of the two vehicles and police set up a countywide roadblock, Rohrbacher said.
The Ford was stopped in Corte Madera a short time later and the unoccupied Pontiac was found parked on Fourth Street in San Rafael shortly after midnight today, Rohrbacher said.
Police and the Marin County Search and Rescue Team searched Clark and D streets near Wolfe Avenue this morning for evidence thrown from the suspect's car as they left the area, Rohrbacher said.
san rafael, corte madera, north bay news
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach 32 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support 14 min ago
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos