North Bay News
Man robs precious metal dealer, takes $10,000
MILL VALLEY, Calif. -- A man stole more than $10,000 in cash this morning from a Mill Valley precious metals dealer, prompting police from several jurisdictions to conduct an extensive search for the suspect that ended unsuccessfully, a Mill Valley police sergeant said.
The suspect entered Pacific Precious Metals, at 420 Miller Ave., at about 10:15 a.m. and forced the store's employees to open the safe, Sgt. Michael Lane said.
The man was armed with a black semi-automatic handgun.
He took the cash and ran toward the Homestead Valley area, leading police to conduct a two-hour search, Lane said.
Units from Sausalito, Mill Valley, Tiburon, and the Marin County Sheriff's Office assisted, but the search was called off at about 12:15 p.m., he said. The sheriff's office also provided air support.
No one was injured in the robbery, Lane said.
The suspect was described as a light-skinned black or Hispanic man, about 6 feet 3 inches tall and 230 pounds, wearing jeans, white surgical gloves, and a black sweatshirt and mask.
A clerk who answered the phone today at Pacific Precious Metals directed all questions to police.
The store buys and sells gold, silver and platinum pieces, according to its website.
It was closed today while employees assisted with the investigation, the clerk said.
mill valley, north bay news
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco 9 min ago
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Child injured in fall from second-story window in SF 14 min ago
- SF police ask for help in solving 2012 B2B homicide
- Patrols increased after attempted armed robbery 8 min ago
- Shooting in Oakland kills 1, injures another
- Crews battle fire at inner Mission apartment building
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San...
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos