North Bay News
Transit authority considers donating to smart rail
MARIN, Calif. -- The Transportation Authority of Marin this evening will consider contributing $8 million toward the $21 million funding shortfall for the Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit passenger train service and pedestrian and bicycle path.
The Sonoma County Transportation Authority approved a $3 million contribution earlier this month, and the Metropolitan Transportation Commission will provide the remaining $10 million, according to an agreement among the three agencies.
TAM's agreement to contribute the $8 million stipulates that the money be used for capital improvements on the initial operating segment of the bike path and rail line between downtown San Rafael and Railroad Square in Santa Rosa.
Voters in Marin and Sonoma counties approved a quarter-cent sales tax in 2008 for what was then supposed to be a $695 million rail line and bike and pedestrian path between Cloverdale and Larkspur.
However, because of reduced sales tax revenue during the recession, SMART decided to scale back the project and initially build and operate a $470 million, 40-mile rail line and pathway between the downtowns of Santa Rosa and San Rafael by 2014.
The entire 70-mile line would be completed when funding becomes available, possibly by 2018.
The TAM meeting will take place at 7 p.m. in Room 330 of the Marin County Civic Center, 3501 Civic Center Drive in San Rafael.
sonoma county, marin city, traffic, north bay news
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive 22 min ago
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that! 42 min ago
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 22 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides 13 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Startup sells insurance based on how much...
22 min ago