North Bay News
Angwin mourns Navy SEAL killed in Afghanistan
ANGWIN, Calif. (KGO) -- Family and friends in the Napa town of Angwin are mourning the death of a young Navy SEAL killed in Afghanistan this past Saturday. He was among 22 Navy SEALs killed when their helicopter was shot down in the Tangi Valley, in Afghanistan. Darrik Benson became a SEAL in 2003.
Linda Hansel was Darrik Benson's 8th grade teacher at Pacific Union College Elementary School in Angwin -- that was 14 years ago. Like many in this small community, she's saddened by his death.
"It comes as a terrible shock when you hear that somebody you know has met with an end. It's like a little piece of you goes missing," said Hansel.
Benson was killed early Saturday morning while responding to a call for help from another Special Forces group in Afghanistan. On board that chopper were 22 SEALs, seven Afghan commandos and other U.S. troops.
"I think it's time to pull out of there. I think it's a waste of money and a waste of time," said Angwin resident Marcel Jewell.
The navy has asked the Benson family not to give any interviews to the press. Some locals are honoring that request, but others say they want to take this opportunity to honor him.
"He was the kind of fellow who lived life in the moment. Enjoy it today," said Hansel.
Valerie Stewart's children went to school with Benson.
"Great kid, he always wanted to the best for everyone. He was a peacemaker and I know he's a peace right now," said Stewart.
napa county, crash, afghanistan, army, navy, pentagon, NATO, north bay news, lyanne melendez
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash 13 min ago
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 10 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 59 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART,...
10 min ago