North Bay News
Beacon fire consumes 700 acres in Fairfield
FAIRFIELD, Calif. (KGO) -- A vegetation fire that burned 715 acres on the northeastern edge of Fairfield has been 90 percent contained as of 3 p.m. today, according to Cal Fire.
The fire is expected to be 100 percent contained by 6 p.m., said Cal Fire Division Chief David Shew.
He said that firefighters are still working on containing the fire, and while no areas are actively burning, there are "still quite a few hotspots."
He said firefighters are remaining diligent to make sure that no burning embers or wind turn the remaining hotspots into new fires. "We need to get through the heat of the day and the highest wind part of the day," Shew said.
As of last night, the raging fire covered hundreds of acres, and at one point threatened 40 homes. Firefighters prevented any homes or other structures from being burned, however.
"They were successful in going ahead and stopping the forward flow of the fire last night, so that's all been mitigated," Shew said.
The fire was first reported in the area of Torrington Way and Mystic Drive shortly before 6 p.m. Saturday, and it spread to the northeast toward Vacaville.
Cal Fire received support from the Solano County Sheriff's Office, the Vacaville Fire Protection District and other area fire departments. As of 3 p.m. today, all remaining firefighters are from Cal Fire.
The agencies deployed 250 firefighters, 25 fire engines, one helicopter and three bulldozers to tackle the fire.
fire, wildfire, fairfield, vacaville, solano county, north bay news
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive 14 min ago
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday