North Bay News
Controlled burn alarms Sausalito residents
A controlled burn in the Marin Headlands was creating smoky conditions in nearby Sausalito Tuesday afternoon.
National Park Service spokeswoman Alexandra Picavet said the blaze is intended to char about 30 acres in the Golden Gate National Recreation's Gerbode Valley to help eradicate the invasive plant fescue.
In the meantime, motorists on U.S. Highway 101 and residents of Sausalito are wondering about all the smoke in the air.
A Sausalito police dispatcher said she has received "about 100,000" calls from people wondering what is burning.
She said police have been told the burn will end around 4 p.m.
fire, sausalito, marin county, north bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday