North Bay News
Sea lion rescued near Highway 101 in Burlingame
MARIN, Calif. -- A sea lion is being treated at the Marine Mammal Center in Marin County this morning after crossing a highway in Burlingame, a spokesman for the center said.
Animal rescuers received reports shortly before 7 a.m. this morning that a sea lion had crossed the north- and southbound lanes of U.S. Highway 101 near the Broadway off-ramp and had come to a stop in a ditch off the side of the road, spokesman Jim Oswald said.
The California Highway Patrol closed the off-ramp for about two hours and CHP officers, along with Burlingame police and personnel from the Peninsula Humane Society, kept watch over the animal while volunteer animal rescue crews responded, Oswald said.
It was not immediately clear how the animal came to be on the highway, although Oswald said there is a lagoon area nearby where the animal most likely came ashore.
The roughly 150-pound sea lion, whose sex was undetermined, was taken to the center to be examined and Oswald said the animal suffered trauma to its jaw.
The extent of injuries was not known and the animal is currently undergoing an extensive examination at the center, according to Oswald.
"The animal is going to be in good hands," he said.
animal, animals in peril, burlingame, north bay news
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- New details released in police officers' murders
- Obama sees narrower terror threat, defends drones
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- Report: Most California beaches had clean water in 2012 56 min ago
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message 34 min ago
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts 14 min ago
- 'Healthbeat' aims to bring medicine, computers together
- SFO employee accused of stealing from luggage
- SJ City College student claims $2.3M Powerball prize 11 min ago
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets free McDonald's food
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: SF warehouse fire; Fatal bicyclist accident
- SJ City College student claims $2.3M...
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos