North Bay News
Sea lion recovering after Burlingame highway incident
MARIN, Calif. -- A sea lion that made its way across Highway 101 in Burlingame on Saturday morning is recovering from the incident today at the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito.
Veterinarians at the center are focusing on keeping the roughly 150-pound animal stable before conducting exams that may help reveal why it wandered toward the highway in the first place, center spokesman Jim Oswald said today.
Animal rescuers received reports around 7 a.m. Saturday that a sea lion had crossed the north and southbound lanes of U.S. Highway 101 before stopping in a ditch on the side of the roadway.
Now, Oswald said the sea lion -- which staff members have named Broadway Bound for its trajectory toward the Broadway off-ramp yesterday -- is still agitated.
In addition to treating the animal for trauma to its jaw, Oswald said veterinarians would likely conduct exams on the animal tomorrow to help shed some light about how it came to be on the roadway, as well as revealing the animal's sex.
The sea lion could be suffering from toxic algae poisoning, which can cause seizures and disorientation, Oswald said.
Animal rescuers were still unsure about how the animal came ashore, but Oswald said it most likely came ashore via a nearby lagoon.
animal, animals in peril, burlingame, north bay news
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing 37 min ago
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Warriors give Oakland High School students 3D printer 35 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
37 min ago