North Bay News
San Rafael house fire started by lamp on mattress
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. -- A San Rafael house fire appears to have started when a lamp began burning on a mattress and bedding on Friday night, a San Rafael Fire Department battalion chief said.
Battalion Chief Jim Lydon said firefighters responded to the fire at 255 D St. around 9:35 p.m. The home had been divided into multiple living units, with the fire contained to a unit on the ground floor in the rear of the building.
Crews opened several walls on the main floor above the unit to ensure the fire did not spread, Lydon said.
A male resident noticed smoke and attempted to extinguish the mattress fire by smothering it before trying to remove the mattress from the building.
The mattress continued to burn as he was moving it, and it got stuck in the doorway. This was when the fire spread to other parts of the house and inside the house, according to Lydon.
The resident was treated at the scene for burn injuries and smoke inhalation. He was taken to the hospital for further treatment.
Fire crews believe there was not a functioning smoke detector in the room where the fire originated.
Crews remained at the scene Friday night to check for hotspots.
san rafael, fire, north bay news
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- No charges in Starbucks orange juice case
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by truck hitting span
- Get Free Stuff: Challenge butter; Shoe laces
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday