North Bay News
Mom hides with daughter in closet during burglary
FAIRFIELD, Calif. -- A woman hid in a closet with her 5-year-old daughter when a suspected burglar entered her Fairfield home Monday afternoon, police said.
Around 12:05 p.m. a 25-year-old woman called police about a person inside her home in the 1200 block of Tanglewood Drive. She said the suspect had started to pry open a bathroom window when she went inside an upstairs closet with her daughter and called police.
The woman stayed on the phone with dispatchers as officers surrounded the house and entered the home. As officers entered the suspect jumped head first through a closed upstairs bedroom window, landed in the backyard, got up, ran and scaled a fence, police said.
On the other side of the fence officers were waiting and the suspect was arrested.
The suspect was identified as 20-year-old Fairfield resident Thomas Stewart. He was found with stolen property from the home when he was arrested, according to police.
Stewart was taken to NorthBay Medical Center, where he was treated and released. He was then booked into Solano County jail on burglary, possession of stolen property and burglary tools charges, police said.
crime, fairfield, north bay news
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey 15 min ago
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday