North Bay News
Mom hides with daughter in closet during burglary
FAIRFIELD, Calif. -- A woman hid in a closet with her 5-year-old daughter when a suspected burglar entered her Fairfield home Monday afternoon, police said.
Around 12:05 p.m. a 25-year-old woman called police about a person inside her home in the 1200 block of Tanglewood Drive. She said the suspect had started to pry open a bathroom window when she went inside an upstairs closet with her daughter and called police.
The woman stayed on the phone with dispatchers as officers surrounded the house and entered the home. As officers entered the suspect jumped head first through a closed upstairs bedroom window, landed in the backyard, got up, ran and scaled a fence, police said.
On the other side of the fence officers were waiting and the suspect was arrested.
The suspect was identified as 20-year-old Fairfield resident Thomas Stewart. He was found with stolen property from the home when he was arrested, according to police.
Stewart was taken to NorthBay Medical Center, where he was treated and released. He was then booked into Solano County jail on burglary, possession of stolen property and burglary tools charges, police said.
crime, fairfield, north bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday