North Bay News
Unlicensed driver hits CHP motorcycle officer
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- An unlicensed driver was involved in two collisions Tuesday morning in the Santa Rosa area -- including a crash with a responding California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer, CHP officials said.
Around 10:15 a.m., CHP officers responded to a crash that was blocking northbound U.S. Highway 101 just north of Wilfred Avenue, south of Santa Rosa.
They arrived to find a Dodge Ram truck that had been hit by a Volkswagen Jetta, CHP officials said.
The crash was cleared from the roadway, and the Dodge driver was able to exit the freeway safely.
A CHP officer on a motorcycle drove ahead to the Santa Rosa Avenue off-ramp to help the Jetta exit as well.
However, the driver of the Jetta made an abrupt turn to the right while trying to exit and struck the officer, according to the CHP.
The officer was ejected from the bike and suffered minor injuries.
The driver of the Jetta was identified as Juan Carlos Avendan Ortiz, 23, of Rohnert Park. He was found to be unlicensed, had two prior convictions for driving without a license, and was on probation, according to the CHP.
Traffic was blocked for about 30 minutes on the freeway after the accidents, officials said.
santa rosa, rohnert park, crash, CHP, north bay news
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Three evacuated from house fire in Kentfield
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- 1 dead, 2 injured from East Palo Alto shooting
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party 57 min ago
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident 11 min ago
- Brush fire at Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos