North Bay News
Unlicensed driver hits CHP motorcycle officer
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- An unlicensed driver was involved in two collisions Tuesday morning in the Santa Rosa area -- including a crash with a responding California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer, CHP officials said.
Around 10:15 a.m., CHP officers responded to a crash that was blocking northbound U.S. Highway 101 just north of Wilfred Avenue, south of Santa Rosa.
They arrived to find a Dodge Ram truck that had been hit by a Volkswagen Jetta, CHP officials said.
The crash was cleared from the roadway, and the Dodge driver was able to exit the freeway safely.
A CHP officer on a motorcycle drove ahead to the Santa Rosa Avenue off-ramp to help the Jetta exit as well.
However, the driver of the Jetta made an abrupt turn to the right while trying to exit and struck the officer, according to the CHP.
The officer was ejected from the bike and suffered minor injuries.
The driver of the Jetta was identified as Juan Carlos Avendan Ortiz, 23, of Rohnert Park. He was found to be unlicensed, had two prior convictions for driving without a license, and was on probation, according to the CHP.
Traffic was blocked for about 30 minutes on the freeway after the accidents, officials said.
santa rosa, rohnert park, crash, CHP, north bay news
- SF firefighters continue to monitor 5-alarm fire
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect in Hawaii 3 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos