North Bay News
Unlicensed driver hits CHP motorcycle officer
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- An unlicensed driver was involved in two collisions Tuesday morning in the Santa Rosa area -- including a crash with a responding California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer, CHP officials said.
Around 10:15 a.m., CHP officers responded to a crash that was blocking northbound U.S. Highway 101 just north of Wilfred Avenue, south of Santa Rosa.
They arrived to find a Dodge Ram truck that had been hit by a Volkswagen Jetta, CHP officials said.
The crash was cleared from the roadway, and the Dodge driver was able to exit the freeway safely.
A CHP officer on a motorcycle drove ahead to the Santa Rosa Avenue off-ramp to help the Jetta exit as well.
However, the driver of the Jetta made an abrupt turn to the right while trying to exit and struck the officer, according to the CHP.
The officer was ejected from the bike and suffered minor injuries.
The driver of the Jetta was identified as Juan Carlos Avendan Ortiz, 23, of Rohnert Park. He was found to be unlicensed, had two prior convictions for driving without a license, and was on probation, according to the CHP.
Traffic was blocked for about 30 minutes on the freeway after the accidents, officials said.
santa rosa, rohnert park, crash, CHP, north bay news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting 38 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880 20 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer...
38 min ago
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
48 min ago