North Bay News
Vallejo police ID fatal shooting suspect of officer
VALLEJO, Calif. -- An alleged bank robber suspected of fatally shooting a Vallejo police officer Thursday has been identified as 37-year-old Henry Albert Smith, a police spokesman said today.
Vallejo police Officer James Capoot was fatally shot after responding to reports of a robbery at a Bank of America on Springs Road around 1:30 p.m. Thursday.
Although initial reports indicated there might have been at least one additional person involved in the robbery and shooting, Smith is now believed to be the only suspect involved in the case, Vallejo police spokesman Sgt. Jeff Bassett said at a news conference today.
Smith, a Fairfield resident, allegedly fled in a silver SUV following the robbery and was chased by Capoot.
The pursuit ended a few miles away in the 100 block of Janice Street when Capoot forced the SUV to spin out, then chased Smith on foot when he ran into a residential neighborhood, Bassett said.
Responding officers who were following Capoot heard several shots fired and found him wounded in a backyard. He was taken to a hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
Smith was found by the other officers shortly after the shooting and was arrested after attempting to break into a nearby home, Bassett said.
Fighting back tears at today's news conference, Bassett said the Police Department is "getting a lot of support from other agencies ... we're getting constant calls about anything we need."
A large memorial has also been set up by community members outside the department's headquarters at 111 Amador St.
Capoot is survived by his wife and three daughters.
"Nobody's hurting more than them right now," Bassett said.
The Vallejo Police Officer's Association has created a memorial fund on behalf of Officer James Capoot's surviving wife and three daughters. These funds will be used to establish a trust fund in the family's name and an account has been opened with Bank of the West's Vallejo branch. Donations to Officer Capoot's memorial fund can be made as follows:
Officer James Capoot Family Trust
C/O Vallejo Police Officer's Association
(Sergeant Mark Nicol)
P.O. Box 4218
Vallejo, CA 94590
shooting, crime, vallejo, north bay news
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday