North Bay News
'Mother Goose' needs new home for her flock
LARKSPUR, Calif. (KGO) -- In Marin County, there is an ongoing problem with geese along Corte Madera Creek. For years, a Marin resident has fed them and cared for them, but her self-assigned job has just become a lot more difficult.
For those of us who believe in modern day nursery rhymes or fairy tales, there is one in Larkspur that has played out, every day, for more than two decades. Its heroine and main character is Sigrid Boehm, better known around these parts as "Mother Goose."
Boehm feeds the geese and the geese keep her young at heart as a surrogate mother and nurse, even at 76 years old.
But as idyllic as it sounds, all is not as it appears to be, because when a bird did get sick, she used to be able to take care of it on the spot. She would take it 100 yards across the creek to an aviary. But it's not so easy anymore, there's nothing left of the aviary after the owner kicked her off the property.
So she moved them instead to a temporary home in Novato. But it's not as easy as it once was. To take care of the oldest and sickest birds, Boehm must drive as many as two hours a day on winding roads, not easy for a 76-year-old woman.
Ideally, she needs a place back near Corte Madera Creek, but no one has offered yet.
No happy ending: not for the geese, or the gentle woman who mothers them.
animal, larkspur, north bay news, wayne freedman
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County 21 min ago
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward 54 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case