North Bay News
Santa Rosa to San Rafael rail project construction approved
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- The Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit District board this morning unanimously approved a $103 million contract for the construction of the rail project between Santa Rosa and San Rafael.
Stacy and Witbeck Inc., of Alameda, and Herzog Contracting Corp., of St. Joseph, Mo., will design and build the 38.5-mile first phase of the project between Santa Rosa and the Marin Civic Center.
A contract for the second phase of the project between the Marin Civic Center and downtown San Rafael is expected to be awarded in the spring. That phase will cost between $17 million and $19 million, SMART's general manager Farhad Mansourian said.
The segment to be constructed in the first phase, which SMART calls "the backbone of the system," includes rebuilding the existing railroad track with new rail ties and track switches, repairing or replacing 20 bridges, making improvements to grade crossings, and building concrete platform shells and train stations between the future North Santa Rosa station on Guerneville Road and the Marin Civic Center.
The Guerneville Road station is near the Coddingtown Mall and several apartment complexes.
Also included in the first phase is a train station in north Novato at Atherton Avenue.
The train, bike and pedestrian project was initially intended to stretch for 70 miles between Cloverdale and Larkspur.
Voters in both counties approved a quarter-cent sales tax to help finance the project, but the scope of the project was reduced because of a funding shortfall related in part to lower-than-expected sales tax revenues.
Opponents have since formed the RepealSMART group, which is circulating petitions to repeal the tax.
RepealSMART has until Jan. 27 to gather signatures on petitions to repeal the tax and put it on the ballot this year, most likely in November.
The question of whether RepealSMART needs 15,000, 30,000 or 39,000 signatures is still under dispute and may be decided in court.
santa rosa, san rafael, sonoma county, marin county, north bay news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF 24 min ago
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US 4 min ago
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case