North Bay News
Cold case reopened for possible Naso connection
HEALDSBURG, Calif. -- Investigators in Healdsburg are reviewing a cold-case murder from the 1980s to determine if there is a connection to accused serial killer Joseph Naso.
The 78-year-old Reno man has been charged with the murders of four women -- two Bay Area women who were killed in the late 1970s and two Yuba County women whose bodies were found in 1993 and 1994.
Healdsburg police said Tuesday that their city was referenced in some of Naso's writings, prompting investigators to review local unsolved cold cases.
At a preliminary hearing in Marin County Superior Court, investigators testified that they had found a document in Naso's home that lists nine "girls" and one "lady" with geographic locations written next to each.
Number one on Naso's list is a reference to a "girl" in Healdsburg.
Healdsburg police said an unsolved homicide from the early 1980s involving an unidentified female victim was reopened to determine if there is any link to Naso.
The victim's body was exhumed in April, and a secondary autopsy was performed, police said.
Further evidence from the case is being re-examined and tested using new technologies that were unavailable during the initial investigation.
Healdsburg police are awaiting test results in the case.
The evidence so far has not implicated Naso, and he is not considered a suspect, police said.
marin county, crime, murder, trials, joseph naso, healdsburg, north bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City 16 min ago
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 31 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover 28 min ago
- Consumer Reports puts toothbrushes to the test 30 min ago
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident 27 min ago
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir 47 min ago
- Mi Pueblo grocery stores submit bankruptcy plans
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch 6 min ago
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates...
47 min ago