North Bay News
Cold case reopened for possible Naso connection
HEALDSBURG, Calif. -- Investigators in Healdsburg are reviewing a cold-case murder from the 1980s to determine if there is a connection to accused serial killer Joseph Naso.
The 78-year-old Reno man has been charged with the murders of four women -- two Bay Area women who were killed in the late 1970s and two Yuba County women whose bodies were found in 1993 and 1994.
Healdsburg police said Tuesday that their city was referenced in some of Naso's writings, prompting investigators to review local unsolved cold cases.
At a preliminary hearing in Marin County Superior Court, investigators testified that they had found a document in Naso's home that lists nine "girls" and one "lady" with geographic locations written next to each.
Number one on Naso's list is a reference to a "girl" in Healdsburg.
Healdsburg police said an unsolved homicide from the early 1980s involving an unidentified female victim was reopened to determine if there is any link to Naso.
The victim's body was exhumed in April, and a secondary autopsy was performed, police said.
Further evidence from the case is being re-examined and tested using new technologies that were unavailable during the initial investigation.
Healdsburg police are awaiting test results in the case.
The evidence so far has not implicated Naso, and he is not considered a suspect, police said.
marin county, crime, murder, trials, joseph naso, healdsburg, north bay news
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child 7 min ago
- Obama hams it up for health care on Funny or Die
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday