North Bay News
Hiker stranded near Lake Berryessa rescued
SOLANO COUNTY, Calif. -- A hiker was rescued after he became stranded in a remote area of Solano County near Lake Berryessa on Monday night.
Shortly after 8 p.m., a California Highway Patrol helicopter was requested to assist the Solano County Sheriff's Office and other agencies in the search for a lost hiker along a trail near the Monticello Dam, CHP officials said.
The hiker, a 25-year-old Davis man, had apparently telephoned his family to let them know he was lost with no water or food and that he was cold, CHP officials said.
The helicopter came in from the Napa County Airport and arrived over the canyon area at about 8:30 p.m. Using night-vision goggles, the crew was able to locate the hiker, who was waving his lit cellphone, CHP officials said.
Because of the rugged terrain, the helicopter could not land near the hiker, and a paramedic hiked about half a mile to him. The paramedic brought the hiker back to the landing zone, CHP officials said.
The hiker was examined by Vacaville Fire Department personnel, who determined that although the man was hungry, thirsty, and very cold, he was not injured, according to the CHP.
The man had been hiking since 8 a.m. and realized he was unprepared after sunset and couldn't find his way out, CHP officials said.
solano county, search and rescue, CHP, north bay news
- Protesters vacate CCSF building, head to city hall
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Manhunt on for Bay Area ATM robber 56 min ago
- Oakland considers dropping ShotSpotter technology
- 'Selfie' section added to Apple's iTunes App Store 55 min ago
- CDC reports rare woman-to-woman HIV transmission
- Overnight stays come to Winchester Mystery House 39 min ago
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Gorilla delivered via rare C-section at San Diego Zoo
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos