North Bay News
Woman shot while sitting on couch in apartment
FAIRFIELD, Calif. -- A woman was injured late Wednesday night when she was hit in the leg by a bullet that was shot into her south Fairfield apartment, a police lieutenant said.
The 50-year-old woman called police around 11:15 p.m. to report the shooting. She said she had been sitting on a couch in her apartment in the 1900 block of Grande Circle when she heard what sounded like gunshots, Lt. Greg Hurlbut said.
She said she felt a burning sensation in her leg, and when she tried to stand up she fell to the floor in pain, Hurlbut said.
The woman then realized she had been hit by a bullet that had come through a wall of her apartment, Hurlbut said.
Fairfield police officers who were in the area heard three or four gunshots fired around that time. As they were investigating, they learned about the injured woman, Hurlbut said.
It does not appear the woman was the intended target, but no witnesses have come forward and police don't know who or what the shooter was aiming for, Hurlbut said.
There is no indication the incident is related to the shooting murder of a 20-year-old Fairfield man late Wednesday night. That shooting occurred at about 11:55 p.m. in the 1000 block of Hayes Street, about three miles away, police said.
The woman was treated a hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, Hurlbut said.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (707) 644-STOP.
fairfield, crime, shooting, north bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos