North Bay News
San Quentin fight involves 150-200 inmates
A melee involving 150-200 San Quentin State Prison inmates Thursday morning sent one inmate to a hospital, a prison spokesman said.
The "large-scale incident" began around 11:30 a.m. in an exercise yard in the prison's reception center, prison Sgt. Gabe Walters said.
He could not say what started the fight, but said several inmates were injured and one was taken to an outside hospital.
None of the injuries were considered life-threatening, and no guards were hurt, he said.
The prison is not in lockdown this afternoon, but rather on a modified program in which inmates have been sent back to their cells as the situation is assessed, Walters said.
The fight is still being investigated, he said.
san quentin prison, north bay news
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr 18 min ago
- Three evacuated from house fire in Kentfield 27 min ago
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Brush fire at Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland
- 1 dead, 2 injured from East Palo Alto shooting
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos