North Bay News
CHP stops assault after man thrown in front of car
ROHNERT PARK, Calif. -- Two purported Sureno gang members were arrested Thursday in Rohnert Park after allegedly attacking a man and throwing the victim in front of an oncoming California Highway Patrol squad car.
The two officers, who had been driving west on Rohnert Park Expressway near Labath Avenue, stopped their patrol car, exited the vehicle and ordered everyone -- the victim and suspects -- to the ground. According to the CHP, the victim sat down but the two suspects fled on foot northbound.
Several nearby CHP officers pursued the suspects, one of whom, a 17-year-old male from Santa Rosa, was apprehended in Sonoma Valley Bagel.
The second suspect, Ramiro Mendoza, 22, of Santa Rosa, was caught only after he fled across Rohnert Park Expressway and resisted arrested.
According to the CHP, the suspects are believed to be Sureno gang members who were allegedly attacking a rival gang member. The victim was not injured.
Mendoza and the juvenile were arrested on suspicion of battery, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and gang enhancements.
crime, gang violence, rohnert park, north bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case