North Bay News
250 pot plants found in burning Pinole home
PINOLE, Calif. -- The cause of an early morning fire at a Pinole home housing an illegal marijuana grow operation is under investigation, according to the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District and Pinole police.
Crews from the Rodeo-Hercules Fire District and Pinole Fire Department also responded to the structure fire in the 2900 block of Ramona Street. The blaze was reported at about 4:20 a.m.
The first arriving company, a Pinole fire engine crew, reported heavy smoke coming from the front of the one-story home.
Firefighters fought the blaze from the home's interior, where officers found some 250 marijuana plants -- with a street value of about $750,000 -- along with grow lamps and a hydroponics system, police said.
Officers determined that PG&E service to the home had been bypassed.
No one was inside and no injuries were reported.
The fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage, but firefighters were able to save the home's living space and most of its contents, according to the fire district.
A total of 19 fire personnel responded, including four engine companies, one truck company and two battalion chiefs.
A fire protection district arson investigator and police detectives are investigating the fire's cause and the associated criminal activity, police said.
pinole, fire, marijuana, north bay news
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke near Candlestick 11 min ago
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Oakland boys' choir to sing for Mandela...
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos