North Bay News
Prosecutors to seek death penalty in Naso case
HEALDSBURG, Calif. -- A Marin County Superior Court judge Wednesday morning set a trial date of Nov. 5 for accused serial killer Joseph Naso.
Deputy District Attorney Rosemary Slote estimated that the trial will take four to five months, and said twice as many prosecution witnesses will testify in the trial as in the nine-day preliminary hearing in January.
Slote had asked for the trial to begin in August, but Naso requested that it be scheduled for October or November to allow him more time to work with his advisory counsel.
Judge Andrew Sweet accommodated Naso's request and scheduled the trial for November.
Late last month, Naso retained attorney Michael Marowitz to advise but not represent him during his quadruple-murder trial.
Naso has been representing himself in the case, in which he is accused of murdering four Northern California women between 1977 and 1994.
The murders were of Roxene Roggasch, 18, of Oakland, in Marin County in 1977; Carmen Colon, 22, in Port Costa in Contra Costa County in 1978; Pamela Parsons, 38, and Tracy Tafoya in Yuba County in 1993 and 1994 respectively.
The Marin County District Attorney's Office intends to seek the death penalty if a jury decides Naso committed multiple murders.
marin county, crime, murder, trials, joseph naso, healdsburg, north bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos