North Bay News
Sea lion rescued from Alcatraz recovering in Marin
MARIN COUNTY, Calif. -- Marin County's Marine Mammal Center has been caring for a sea lion pup that was rescued from a dock on Alcatraz Island two weeks ago, spokesman Jim Oswald said.
The barely 1-year-old sea lion, named Al Catraz by the center, was spotted on the dock on March 21 and arrived at the marine mammal center severely underweight.
Although it is not unheard of for a pup to be stranded at that location, it is a rare occurrence. Oswald said that about eight pups -- including animals thematically named "Fortress" and "Bird Man" -- have been rescued from Alcatraz over the past two decades.
When the male sea lion pup arrived at the center, Al Catraz weighed approximately 32 pounds -- half the ideal weight for a pup of that age, Oswald said.
"He was just really, really malnourished and in a bad location, so we immediately wanted to rescue him," Oswald said.
Initially too weak to eat on his own, Al Catraz received meals in liquid form for the first few days of his stay but has since begun gobbling about 4 pounds of herring a day without assistance.
How long Al Catraz will remain at the center will depend on whether being malnourished compromised his health, and Oswald said that veterinarians were monitoring the pup's condition.
"The focus right now is on getting him healthy," Oswald said. The pupping season, which runs through June, is the center's busy season, and Oswald said more than 60 elephant seals and at least 11 harbor seal pups were currently on site.
Oswald said it costs the center about a dollar per pound for the herring and that by the end of June the center will have fed about 40,000 pounds of herrings to animals in the center's care.
"Right now, we're pretty busy," he said.
alcatraz, north bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support 4 min ago
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
51 min ago
- Only On 7: Jahi McMath's mother speaks out
11 min ago
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on...
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos