North Bay News
Man arrested for setting fire to his own apartment
PETALUMA, Calif. -- A man was arrested for arson on Thursday after allegedly setting fire to his own apartment in Petaluma, causing a fire that left several residents displaced, police and fire officials said.
Police and firefighters responded to reports of a fire and explosion in an apartment at 1120 Baywood Drive shortly before 7 p.m.
Officers and firefighters arriving found heavy flames coming from the first floor of the two-story apartment building. A man met them outside and told firefighters that the apartment was his and that his brother was still inside.
Firefighters rescued residents on the second floor, cut ventilation holes in the building and used hoses to attack the fire, containing it at around 7:20 p.m.
No one was found in the burning apartment, and fire officials said the man that greeted firefighters told them that he had doused the inside of the apartment in gasoline and then turned on the stove and left. Police arrested the man and identified him as Gerald Charles, Jr., 29.
Three occupants of that apartment were displaced and lost all of their possessions in the blaze. The occupant of the next-door apartment was also displaced.
Charles was booked into Sonoma County Jail with his bail set at $60,000. Police have not determined a motive for setting the fire.
petaluma, fire, arson, crime, north bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits 49 min ago
- Broken window of high-rise shuts down block in SF
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break 59 min ago
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks 36 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday