North Bay News
Schoolteacher killed in murder-suicide in Petaluma
PETALUMA, Calif. -- A Petaluma elementary school teacher and her husband are dead in what police are investigating as a murder-suicide that occurred outside a divorce attorney's office on Sunday afternoon.
Police found Kimberly Conover, 43, and her husband, Kevin Conover, 41, both of Petaluma, suffering from gunshot wounds on the sidewalk outside attorney Jeff Zimmerman's office at 10 Keller St. around 2 p.m. Sunday, Petaluma police Lt. Tim Lyons said.
Police initially did not know whether the shooter was still at large, so they dragged the bodies behind patrol cars for safety, Lyons said.
Zimmerman was briefly detained and questioned, and it was determined that Kevin Conover shot his wife and himself, Lyons said. A revolver was recovered at the scene, Lyons said.
This morning, Zimmerman said he could not discuss the shooting or the Conovers' relationship because of attorney-client privilege.
Both were taken to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital, where Kevin Conover died at 3:08 p.m. and Kimberly Conover died at 9 p.m., according to the Sonoma County coroner's office. Autopsies are scheduled for today.
Police have had prior contacts with the couple and are examining records to see if there had been any previous domestic violence incidents, Lyons said.
"I'm not aware of any arrests," Lyons said.
Kimberly Conover was a second-grade teacher at Meadow Elementary School in the Waugh School District in Petaluma.
District Superintendent Robert Cmelak said Conover had taught at the school for 12 years.
"If you've seen her picture, her smile says it all," Cmelak said this morning. "She has a beautiful smile."
"She was a teacher of teachers and a trainer of teachers in language arts," Cmelak said. "She was a requested teacher. She was loved. It will be very difficult to fill her void."
Waugh School District employees and all of the students' families were contacted Sunday night about the shooting. School and district staff met this morning at 7:30 a.m., and grief counselors are at the school today, Cmelak said.
Conover had 24 students in her class, and two of her four children also attended Meadow Elementary School, Cmelak said. Her children included 2-year-old twins, he said.
petaluma, shooting, north bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 58 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 55 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos