North Bay News
Memorial flotilla planned for lost sailors
TIBURON, Calif. (KGO) -- A flotilla in honor of the five people who lost their lives during last weekend's yacht race around the Farallon Islands is set to take place Saturday evening.
The procession is being put together by friends of the survivors of the yachting accident, as well as those who were lost.
Organizers are anticipating a sizable turnout of boats from around the Bay Area. They've put together an hour-long ceremony that will include a wreath laying ceremony out in Belvedere Cove, as well as a bag pipe tribute and a naval hymnal for those who were lost.
Marc Kasannin, 41, died in the accident. His body was recovered by an Air National Guard rescue team last Saturday.
But Alan Cahill, Alexis Busch, Elmer Morrissey and Jordan Fromm are lost at sea and presumed dead. The Coast Guard called off the search for the four last weekend.
The boat they were aboard, the Low Speed Chase, remains marooned on the rocks of the Farallon Islands. A salvage crew will be lifting the 38 foot yacht off the rocks early next week.
san francisco bay, farallon islands, belvedere, north bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits 36 min ago
- Broken window of high-rise shuts down block in SF
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break 46 min ago
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision 58 min ago
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks 23 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday