North Bay News
Body recovered near Bodega Bay shore
SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. -- A body was recovered from the waters in Bodega Bay this morning, a Sonoma County sheriff's lieutenant said.
Tourists spotted what appeared to be a body at the base of the cliff at Bodega Head and called the sheriff's office at 7:40 p.m. Tuesday, Lt. Dennis O'Leary said.
The sheriff's office sent a helicopter to the area that night but "due to the darkness, we couldn't do anything," O'Leary said.
At first light this morning, a helicopter was sent out to the same area and the remains were found and retrieved around 8:30 a.m., he said.
O'Leary said the body has not yet been identified and it is not yet clear how long it had been in the water.
sonoma county, north bay news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 33 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- One killed in residential fire in San Francisco 5 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York 49 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Consumer Reports evaluates best toilet papers
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos