North Bay News
Body recovered near Bodega Bay shore
SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. -- A body was recovered from the waters in Bodega Bay this morning, a Sonoma County sheriff's lieutenant said.
Tourists spotted what appeared to be a body at the base of the cliff at Bodega Head and called the sheriff's office at 7:40 p.m. Tuesday, Lt. Dennis O'Leary said.
The sheriff's office sent a helicopter to the area that night but "due to the darkness, we couldn't do anything," O'Leary said.
At first light this morning, a helicopter was sent out to the same area and the remains were found and retrieved around 8:30 a.m., he said.
O'Leary said the body has not yet been identified and it is not yet clear how long it had been in the water.
sonoma county, north bay news
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley 2 min ago
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University 40 min ago
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating 15 min ago
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Fresno police seek suspects in teacher's shooting 20 min ago
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday