North Bay News
Family saves dog dragged by truck on freeway
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- A Bay Area family witnessed the unthinkable happening to a puppy on the freeway and jumped to the rescue. The family from Pinole saved a dog being dragged by a pickup truck.
The dog, nicknamed "Freeway," is doing phenomenally well. He is recuperating from his horrific ordeal at a veterinary hospital in Vallejo. Remarkably, the German Shepherd puppy is navigating rather nimbly on just three legs after his rear leg was amputated Tuesday.
A woman and her son were driving on Interstate 780 last week when they saw the dog dangling from the side of a pick-up truck with a rope around its neck. "I noticed something kind of flapping in the wind behind this black truck. Got a little closer, noticed it was the dog," Angie Porter recalled. "Panic mode. We started screaming. I'm laying on my horn, trying to catch up to the person. He was going pretty fast. And, he was just being drug and strangulated at the same time, kind of flopping around."
The rope eventually snapped and the dog rolled into a freeway wall. Porter stopped to help and called 9-1-1. The driver of the pickup sped away. It has been touch and go all week since the dog arrived at the hospital trembling and in shock, but the vet says he is looking much better and will make it through the ordeal.
He was reunited with the woman who saved him and her son Wednesday afternoon. She says she may just adopt him. At the least, she will think about it.
It will take four more weeks for Freeway to completely heal. The Humane Society of the North Bay is funding his medical care but they are desperately looking for donations to help him and other animals in awful circumstances.
vallejo, pinole, animal, animals in peril, north bay news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday