North Bay News
Police rescue adrift boater in Richardson Bay
SAUSALITO, Calif. -- Sausalito police rescued an adrift boater who nearly crashed onto rocks near Belvedere Thursday night, police said.
Police received an emergency call from the operator of a skiff adrift in Richardson Bay at 8:28 p.m.
The boater, Michael Lee, told police he had run out of fuel just off of Schoonmaker Point Marina.
The strong winds and outgoing tide were making the boat drift quickly toward Tiburon, police said.
Police launched one of the department's patrol boats and searched for the boat. Lee continued updating police on his location over the phone, police said.
In less than 30 minutes, police located Lee and safely got him onboard their boat and towed his skiff back to Sausalito.
When they found him, Lee was only 20 or 30 yards away from crashing into the rocks off the southern tip of Belvedere, police said.
rescue, sausalito, belvedere, north bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire