North Bay News
High-speed chase ends in fiery crash on Highway 101
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- A Santa Rosa man wanted on domestic violence charges led police on a high-speed chase this evening that ended in a fiery crash on southbound U.S. Highway 101.
Jose Francisco Macias, 32, was wanted on suspicion of violating a domestic violence protective order and assaulting his wife, causing moderate injuries that were treated at a local hospital.
Police spotted Macias around 5:30 p.m. driving a gray Volvo in the area of B and First streets in Santa Rosa. When they attempted to pull him over, however, he allegedly fled through city streets and on to U.S. Highway 101.
Police and the California Highway Patrol pursued him south at speeds in excess of 80 miles per hour through Rohnert Park and into Petaluma.
After about nine minutes, Macias crashed the Volvo into a cement construction barrier just north of Petaluma Boulevard North and ended up in a creek.
The vehicle caught fire, but a Santa Rosa police dog was able to pull Macias out and officers got him to safety before the vehicle became fully engulfed in flames.
Macias was taken to a local hospital for treatment of moderate non-life threatening injuries. He is expected to face charges of felony domestic battery, violation of a criminal domestic violence related restraining order and felony evading the police in a vehicle.
police chase, highway 101, santa rosa, north bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning 16 min ago
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen... 19 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos