North Bay News
Napa State Hospital inmate dies after scuffle with police
NAPA, Calif. -- The Napa County coroner's office is investigating the death of a Napa State Hospital patient on Tuesday, a county sheriff's captain said.
Brandon Joseph Coates, 29, died after a scuffle with two Napa State Hospital police officers Tuesday morning, Capt. Tracey Stuart said.
The scuffle occurred when Coates became extremely aggressive after receiving an injection, Stuart said.
Hospital staff had talked Coates into going into a private room where a nurse would inject him with a sedative, Stuart said. A nurse waited for hospital police officers to arrive before giving Coates the shot, and Coates cooperated and sat on a bed, Stuart said.
After receiving the shot, the nurse and the police officers started to leave the room, Stuart said. Coates then got off the bed and attacked two police officers from behind, striking them in the head with his fists, Stuart said.
The blows were glancing and the officers were not injured, Stuart said.
Police wrestled with Coates for between one and three minutes, and eventually handcuffed him, according to Stuart.
Coates, who is 6 feet 4 inches tall and weighs 300 pounds, was on his knees with his upper body against the bed when he stopped breathing, Stuart said.
Staff members administered CPR while waiting for an ambulance, but Coates died at the scene, Stuart said.
Hospital spokeswoman Deborah Moore said Coates was pronounced dead at 10:38 a.m.
Coates had been admitted to the hospital after a criminal conviction in Alameda County, Stuart said.
Alameda County District Attorney's Office spokeswoman Teresa Drenick said Coates was convicted in 2002 of a robbery that occurred in 2000.
napa, inmates, north bay news
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Woman suspected of starting brush fire arrested 54 min ago
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- Apps help protect your smartphone from snoops
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos