North Bay News
More than 500 still without power in Novato
NOVATO, Calif. (KGO) -- More than 500 PG&E customers in Marin County were still without power Friday morning after a mega-utility pole and two powers line were blown over by winds.
Genevieve Rasp and her father headed out of their powerless home Friday morning. For her, it's no laughing matter. "I felt sad. Because I can't see anything. I just have my flashlight," she said.
Rasp had to break out a flashlight after power went out about 6:30 p.m. Thursday, knocking 8,700 people off line.
Sparks from nearby power poles touched off a couple small grass fires. Neighbors took care of those.
The wires once carried 60,000 volts -- not the standard 12,000 going through most residential neighborhoods.
Jeff Graf found out how badly he needs a fraction of all that power just to live. In the digital age, "you need electricity for all this stuff," he said.
Gabe Serrano lost power and that did not sit well with his cocker spaniel. "I need it for my dog so he can watch some television while we're gone," he said.
Ruth Roselli, another resident, said she wasn't that bothered by the outage. "I'm fine. It doesn't bother me at all, except that I'm worried about things in my freezer if this goes on until tomorrow.
PG&E crews are working on restoring power to the customers who remained without power Friday. The utility pole will be taken to PG&E's forensic lab once it's taken down.
novato, power outage, PG&E, north bay news, terry mcsweeney
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 31 min ago
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos