North Bay News
Man found dead in Russian River
FORESTVILLE, Calif. -- The Sonoma County coroner's office is trying to locate the next of kin of a man who was found dead in the Russian River in Forestville on Sunday evening.
The victim was with a friend at Steelhead Beach Regional Park around 6:30 p.m. when the incident occurred, Sonoma County sheriff's Lt. Steve Brown said.
Brown said the victim had told his friend that he could not swim but that was going to get in the water at Steelhead Beach to rinse off.
The victim walked downstream in shallow water, and when he didn't return right away, his friend called 911, Brown said.
Sheriff's deputies and the Forestville Fire Protection District responded and found the victim in three feet of water about 50 yards from where he had gone in, Brown said.
An autopsy on the victim is scheduled for today. The man's name is being withheld until his family has been notified of his death.
russian river, north bay news
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists 37 min ago
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead 11 min ago
- Free dental care offered at SJ Convention Center
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves 17 min ago
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Plan to cut down trees in East Bay Hills under review
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday