North Bay News
Man found dead in Russian River
FORESTVILLE, Calif. -- The Sonoma County coroner's office is trying to locate the next of kin of a man who was found dead in the Russian River in Forestville on Sunday evening.
The victim was with a friend at Steelhead Beach Regional Park around 6:30 p.m. when the incident occurred, Sonoma County sheriff's Lt. Steve Brown said.
Brown said the victim had told his friend that he could not swim but that was going to get in the water at Steelhead Beach to rinse off.
The victim walked downstream in shallow water, and when he didn't return right away, his friend called 911, Brown said.
Sheriff's deputies and the Forestville Fire Protection District responded and found the victim in three feet of water about 50 yards from where he had gone in, Brown said.
An autopsy on the victim is scheduled for today. The man's name is being withheld until his family has been notified of his death.
russian river, north bay news
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos