North Bay News
North Bay firefighters collect funds for burn victims
North Bay firefighters and other first responders are driving antique and modern emergency vehicles through Sonoma and Marin counties Wednesday to raise money for burn victims.
The 15th annual Alisa Ann Ruch Burn Foundation North Bay "burn relay" began at 8 a.m. at the Healdsburg Fire Department. It ends at the Southern Marin County Fire Department station in Sausalito at 5:30 p.m.
Along the way, firefighters will collect donations raised by fire and public safety agencies through annual golf tournaments, pancake breakfasts, spaghetti dinners and other events.
The Alisa Ann Ruch Foundation is a California nonprofit dedicated to preventing burn injuries and fires, and providing services to burn victims.
Alisa Ann Ruch was died at age 8 in 1970 when she was burned during a backyard barbecue accident in Southern California.
The Foundation was formed in 1971 to prevent burns, including by teaching stop, drop and roll techniques. It continues to support burn prevention education programs.
It has offices in San Francisco, Fresno and Burbank, and runs a weeklong summer camp for California burn survivors ages 5-16; a weekend summit for burn survivors 16-20 every February; and a three-day retreat at Camp Oakhurst in the Sierra foothills for burn victims and their families.
fire, marin county, sonoma county, fundraiser, north bay news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Fatal accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 15 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown 56 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
47 min ago