North Bay News
North Bay firefighters collect funds for burn victims
North Bay firefighters and other first responders are driving antique and modern emergency vehicles through Sonoma and Marin counties Wednesday to raise money for burn victims.
The 15th annual Alisa Ann Ruch Burn Foundation North Bay "burn relay" began at 8 a.m. at the Healdsburg Fire Department. It ends at the Southern Marin County Fire Department station in Sausalito at 5:30 p.m.
Along the way, firefighters will collect donations raised by fire and public safety agencies through annual golf tournaments, pancake breakfasts, spaghetti dinners and other events.
The Alisa Ann Ruch Foundation is a California nonprofit dedicated to preventing burn injuries and fires, and providing services to burn victims.
Alisa Ann Ruch was died at age 8 in 1970 when she was burned during a backyard barbecue accident in Southern California.
The Foundation was formed in 1971 to prevent burns, including by teaching stop, drop and roll techniques. It continues to support burn prevention education programs.
It has offices in San Francisco, Fresno and Burbank, and runs a weeklong summer camp for California burn survivors ages 5-16; a weekend summit for burn survivors 16-20 every February; and a three-day retreat at Camp Oakhurst in the Sierra foothills for burn victims and their families.
fire, marin county, sonoma county, fundraiser, north bay news
- Police search for gunman after officer shot in SF 39 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 14 min ago
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
14 min ago