North Bay News
Vallejo man settles lawsuit with city for $4.1 million
VALLEJO, Calif. -- Lawyers for a Vallejo man announced Thursday that their client has agreed to a $4.1 million settlement with the city to end a federal civil rights lawsuit in which he claimed two officers severely injured him after entering his apartment without a warrant in 2007.
Macario Dagdagan alleged that he suffered a damaged spine after two officers shocked him with a Taser gun and handcuffed him while investigating a report of an alleged assault on Dagdagan's girlfriend.
The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Sacramento, alleged that the officers violated his constitutional rights by entering his home without a court-approved warrant.
Last year, a federal appeals court ruled that under the facts alleged in the lawsuit, the officers should have obtained a warrant because there was no emergency situation.
The appeals court said that, according to the lawsuit, the officers had already interviewed the alleged victim at her home before coming to Dagdagan's apartment, and knew that she was safe at her home.
The settlement was announced by attorneys Todd Boley and Peter Alfert.
The agreement provides that the city of Vallejo, while settling the lawsuit in order to end the litigation, does not admit to any wrongdoing.
vallejo, lawsuit, north bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge 16 min ago
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 42 min ago
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full...
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos