North Bay News
Vallejo man settles lawsuit with city for $4.1 million
VALLEJO, Calif. -- Lawyers for a Vallejo man announced Thursday that their client has agreed to a $4.1 million settlement with the city to end a federal civil rights lawsuit in which he claimed two officers severely injured him after entering his apartment without a warrant in 2007.
Macario Dagdagan alleged that he suffered a damaged spine after two officers shocked him with a Taser gun and handcuffed him while investigating a report of an alleged assault on Dagdagan's girlfriend.
The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Sacramento, alleged that the officers violated his constitutional rights by entering his home without a court-approved warrant.
Last year, a federal appeals court ruled that under the facts alleged in the lawsuit, the officers should have obtained a warrant because there was no emergency situation.
The appeals court said that, according to the lawsuit, the officers had already interviewed the alleged victim at her home before coming to Dagdagan's apartment, and knew that she was safe at her home.
The settlement was announced by attorneys Todd Boley and Peter Alfert.
The agreement provides that the city of Vallejo, while settling the lawsuit in order to end the litigation, does not admit to any wrongdoing.
vallejo, lawsuit, north bay news
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Thieves target True Religion jeans
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos