North Bay News
Authorities release name of woman found dead
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- The Sonoma County coroner's office has identified the Sonoma woman who was found dead in a Sonoma field Wednesday afternoon as 51-year-old Donna Spellman.
Spellman was reported missing by her family last weekend, sheriff's Lt. Dennis O'Leary said. She was last seen leaving her mother's house where she lived.
A passerby spotted her body in a field in the area of Fourth Street West and West McArthur Street, the sheriff's office said.
Spellman had mental health issues and foul play is not suspected, O'Leary said.
Her body was identified by her family and through fingerprints, O'Leary said.
There were no signs of trauma on Spellman's body and authorities suspect she might have overdosed on a drug, O'Leary said.
Sheriff's officials said the body had been there for about a week and was hidden by tall grass.
santa rosa, sonoma, crime, north bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos