North Bay News
Man killed, 3 more injured in Vallejo park shooting
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- A 57-year old man is Vallejo's latest murder victim. Police say he and three others were sprayed with gunfire at a local park Saturday night.
According to Vallejo police, the bullets started flying at about 8:15 Saturday night at Crest Ranch Park.
Four people were shot. One of them died. So far, police are not releasing many details about what prompted the shooting or even the relation the victims have to each other.
One neighbor who lives near the park was shocked because she knew the man who died.
"I hear shots all the time," said Geri Santiago. But this time around, "it was really sad because one of the victims was a really nice guy."
Police have not yet notified the family of the 57-year-old victim. He was known as a harmless, if often intoxicated, neighborhood wanderer.
"He came by here quite a bit. In the mornings he used to help me bring out my pit and help me kind of set up in the mornings," said Ron Fluker.
Fluker helps run CJ's BBQ and Fish Restaurant, which is located next door to the victim's favorite liquor store.
Neighbors said the man's 67-year-old female friend was also hit by gunfire.
Santiago said the man who was shot didn't invite trouble. "They're not that type of crowd to be causing problems and starting trouble."
Police described the two other male victims as a 35-year-old and a 17-year-old.
The grandfather of the 17-year-old identified him as Curtis Nelson and said the teenager is expected to survive his wounds.
Police only have minimal information about the gunman.
"There were reports of a black male in a dark vehicle as being the shooter," said Lt. Lee Horton.
Police believe the victims were attending a cookout in the park. They're working on getting further details about the person who pulled the trigger.
shooting, vallejo, crime, north bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire