North Bay News
Sonoma Co. residents seek to block Indian casino
ROHNERT PARK, Calif. -- Some Sonoma County residents are filing suit to block the construction of a major Indian casino just outside Rohnert Park.
The Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports the group Stop the Casino 101 filed the lawsuit Monday to halt the casino project proposed by the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria.
The state Legislature this month ratified an agreement that allows the tribe to begin work on the 3,000-slot machine casino. The U.S. Interior Department has 45 days to approve or reject the compact.
The plaintiffs argue the proposed casino's location is not sovereign territory and is subject to state laws barring gambling.
Tribal attorneys say the courts have already rejected those arguments.
Sonoma County supervisors may give the public a chance to weigh in on the casino's impacts next week.
rohnert park, sonoma county, north bay news
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Emergency officials monitor Wichita-area tornado 50 min ago
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home 9 min ago
- Spurs rout Grizzlies 105-83 in West finals opener 23 min ago
- Warriors PG Stephen Curry set to receive key to city
- SF police ask for help in solving 2012 B2B homicide
- US gas prices up 11 cents over past 2 weeks
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos