North Bay News
Sonoma Co. residents seek to block Indian casino
ROHNERT PARK, Calif. -- Some Sonoma County residents are filing suit to block the construction of a major Indian casino just outside Rohnert Park.
The Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports the group Stop the Casino 101 filed the lawsuit Monday to halt the casino project proposed by the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria.
The state Legislature this month ratified an agreement that allows the tribe to begin work on the 3,000-slot machine casino. The U.S. Interior Department has 45 days to approve or reject the compact.
The plaintiffs argue the proposed casino's location is not sovereign territory and is subject to state laws barring gambling.
Tribal attorneys say the courts have already rejected those arguments.
Sonoma County supervisors may give the public a chance to weigh in on the casino's impacts next week.
rohnert park, sonoma county, north bay news
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California 42 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 46 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash