North Bay News
Sonoma Co. residents seek to block Indian casino
ROHNERT PARK, Calif. -- Some Sonoma County residents are filing suit to block the construction of a major Indian casino just outside Rohnert Park.
The Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports the group Stop the Casino 101 filed the lawsuit Monday to halt the casino project proposed by the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria.
The state Legislature this month ratified an agreement that allows the tribe to begin work on the 3,000-slot machine casino. The U.S. Interior Department has 45 days to approve or reject the compact.
The plaintiffs argue the proposed casino's location is not sovereign territory and is subject to state laws barring gambling.
Tribal attorneys say the courts have already rejected those arguments.
Sonoma County supervisors may give the public a chance to weigh in on the casino's impacts next week.
rohnert park, sonoma county, north bay news
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Freeze Warning in place for most of the Bay Area
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Deputy who fatally shot Andy Lopez to return to work
- 5 displaced in two-alarm apartment fire in Alameda
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday