North Bay News
Sonoma Co. residents seek to block Indian casino
ROHNERT PARK, Calif. -- Some Sonoma County residents are filing suit to block the construction of a major Indian casino just outside Rohnert Park.
The Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports the group Stop the Casino 101 filed the lawsuit Monday to halt the casino project proposed by the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria.
The state Legislature this month ratified an agreement that allows the tribe to begin work on the 3,000-slot machine casino. The U.S. Interior Department has 45 days to approve or reject the compact.
The plaintiffs argue the proposed casino's location is not sovereign territory and is subject to state laws barring gambling.
Tribal attorneys say the courts have already rejected those arguments.
Sonoma County supervisors may give the public a chance to weigh in on the casino's impacts next week.
rohnert park, sonoma county, north bay news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars 56 min ago
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 25 min ago
- Free health clinics to take place in the Bay Area 5 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos