North Bay News
Penngrove couple arrested on suspicion of child cruelty
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- A Penngrove couple charged with child cruelty is scheduled to be arraigned Friday afternoon in Sonoma County Superior Court.
Lyndsay Patricia Colula, 20, and Jesus Daniel Colula, 26, were arrested Wednesday on suspicion of inflicting severe physical abuse on their 18-month child, Sonoma County sheriff's Lt. Dennis O'Leary said.
The couple did not seek medical attention for at least a week for their child, who suffered a broken bone, several fractures, bruises and a contusion, O'Leary said.
The injuries were reported to the county's Child Protective Services after the infant went for a routine check-up, O'Leary said.
The baby was taken into protective custody after the visit to the doctor and then was taken to Children's Hospital and Research Center in Oakland where more injuries were discovered, O'Leary said.
When questioned, the couple could not give a plausible account for the severe injuries or why they neglected to provide immediate medical attention, O'Leary said.
The Colulas were booked in Sonoma County Jail on four counts of child cruelty and battery. They are being held under $35,000 bail.
sonoma county, crime, children, north bay news
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- PayPal hopes new smartphone app will replace wallet
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Oakland looks to give micro-loans to small businesses
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Photos: San Jose Sharks fan pics!
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday