North Bay News
Arrest made in Vallejo shooting case
VALLEJO, Calif. -- A suspect in a shooting murder at Crest Ranch Park in north Vallejo last Saturday has been arrested in Los Angeles, Vallejo police said.
Four people were shot at the north Vallejo park during a picnic and barbecue around 8:15 p.m. They were driven to Kaiser Permanente Vallejo Medical Center and Sutter Solano Hospital.
One of the victims, 58-year-old Homer Woodrow, of Vallejo, died at Sutter Solano Hospital.
A 67-year-old woman and a 17-year-old boy, both of Vallejo, were in critical condition after the shootings. A 35-year-old Vallejo man also was shot in the arm. The names of the victims have not been released.
At least one occupant in a dark-colored van opened fire on the victims in the park, Sgt. Kevin Coelho said.
Police issued a murder and attempted murder arrest warrant Wednesday for 18-year-old Gregory Joseph Bethany Jr., who fled to Arizona after the shootings, Coelho said.
Vallejo, Phoenix and Los Angeles police tracked Bethany from Phoenix to Los Angeles and arrested him Tuesday, Coelho said.
Bethany admitted to Vallejo police during questioning in Los Angeles that he was involved in the shootings, Coelho said.
Vallejo police also searched two Vallejo homes associated with Bethany and recovered a .223-caliber rifle believed to be the murder weapon, Coelho said.
Police have not disclosed a motive for the shootings. Bethany will be transferred to Solano County, Coelho said.
los angeles, vallejo, shooting, north bay news
- Malaysia Airlines plane hijacked, steered off-course
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos