North Bay News
Arrest made in Vallejo shooting case
VALLEJO, Calif. -- A suspect in a shooting murder at Crest Ranch Park in north Vallejo last Saturday has been arrested in Los Angeles, Vallejo police said.
Four people were shot at the north Vallejo park during a picnic and barbecue around 8:15 p.m. They were driven to Kaiser Permanente Vallejo Medical Center and Sutter Solano Hospital.
One of the victims, 58-year-old Homer Woodrow, of Vallejo, died at Sutter Solano Hospital.
A 67-year-old woman and a 17-year-old boy, both of Vallejo, were in critical condition after the shootings. A 35-year-old Vallejo man also was shot in the arm. The names of the victims have not been released.
At least one occupant in a dark-colored van opened fire on the victims in the park, Sgt. Kevin Coelho said.
Police issued a murder and attempted murder arrest warrant Wednesday for 18-year-old Gregory Joseph Bethany Jr., who fled to Arizona after the shootings, Coelho said.
Vallejo, Phoenix and Los Angeles police tracked Bethany from Phoenix to Los Angeles and arrested him Tuesday, Coelho said.
Bethany admitted to Vallejo police during questioning in Los Angeles that he was involved in the shootings, Coelho said.
Vallejo police also searched two Vallejo homes associated with Bethany and recovered a .223-caliber rifle believed to be the murder weapon, Coelho said.
Police have not disclosed a motive for the shootings. Bethany will be transferred to Solano County, Coelho said.
los angeles, vallejo, shooting, north bay news
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos