North Bay News
Mom sane when she killed daughters with sword
FAIRFIELD, Calif. -- A Fairfield woman faces life in prison without parole when she is sentenced later this summer for killing her twin daughters in their apartment in October 2010.
A Solano County Superior Court jury on Tuesday found that Monica McCarrick, 29, was sane when she used a sword to kill the 3-year-old twins, Tori and Lily Ball, on Oct. 10, 2010, according to the Solano County District Attorney's Office.
The jury convicted McCarrick on June 15 of two counts each of first-degree murder and assault on a child causing death.
McCarrick had pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity. She will be sentenced on Aug. 6.
Her daughters were found dead near the door of McCarrick's burning apartment. They died of multiple stab and slash wounds from a samurai sword.
Fairfield police said McCarrick had tried to commit suicide after the killings by cutting herself and lighting fire to her third-floor apartment at the Summit at Paradise Valley complex at 3001 N. Texas St.
fairfield, crime, murder, child death, children, north bay news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing 26 min ago
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Astronauts discuss impact of social media in space
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno...
26 min ago