North Bay News
Mom sane when she killed daughters with sword
FAIRFIELD, Calif. -- A Fairfield woman faces life in prison without parole when she is sentenced later this summer for killing her twin daughters in their apartment in October 2010.
A Solano County Superior Court jury on Tuesday found that Monica McCarrick, 29, was sane when she used a sword to kill the 3-year-old twins, Tori and Lily Ball, on Oct. 10, 2010, according to the Solano County District Attorney's Office.
The jury convicted McCarrick on June 15 of two counts each of first-degree murder and assault on a child causing death.
McCarrick had pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity. She will be sentenced on Aug. 6.
Her daughters were found dead near the door of McCarrick's burning apartment. They died of multiple stab and slash wounds from a samurai sword.
Fairfield police said McCarrick had tried to commit suicide after the killings by cutting herself and lighting fire to her third-floor apartment at the Summit at Paradise Valley complex at 3001 N. Texas St.
fairfield, crime, murder, child death, children, north bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos