North Bay News
Man surrenders after fatal hit-and-run in North Bay
PETALUMA, Calif. (KGO) -- An arrest has been made in the hit-and-run death of a Sonoma County teenager early Monday morning.
17-year-old Jahzeel Forsen of American Canyon was killed when her pick-up truck was hit by another truck on Lakeville Highway south of Old Lakeville Road Number 1 in Sonoma County shortly after midnight.
Students attending summer school at American Canyon High School are shocked over the death of their classmate. "Everybody s talking about it on like Facebook and a few people have told me about it," classmate Cole Hammond said.
Investigators say the teenager's red pickup was hit by 41-year-old Michael Harmon who was driving a white truck. "Our suspect went off the road on the right shoulder, lost control, and then when he tried to regain control, he spun into the northbound lane where he hit the oncoming truck," CHP officer Jonathan Sloat told ABC7 News.
A witness told investigators the suspect got out of his vehicle, looked inside the teenager's truck, and then ran from the scene. He turned himself in to the CHP around 10 a.m. Monday. "He admitted that he was involved in the collision and that he left the scene. His version of how the collision actually occurred is different from what the evidence indicates," Sloat said. "His version tries to place the victim at fault for the collision itself, but based on what we saw at the scene, the two don't match up."
Harmon was processed Monday afternoon and booked on vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run charges. Investigators say he has a criminal history that includes drug charges. He is being held without bail.
petaluma, hit and run, crime, crash, sonoma county, north bay news, carolyn tyler
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge 18 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday