North Bay News
Water samples taken after sewage spill in Greenbrae
GREENBRAE, Calif. -- The Ross Valley Sanitary District is taking water samples from a Greenbrae creek following a sewage spill on Tuesday afternoon.
A pipe leading to an air release valve broke, causing a sewage backup that led to a 1,000-gallon spill around 2 p.m., district officials said in a news release.
The spill occurred at Pump Station 13 near the Bon Air Center in Greenbrae.
The district recovered about 800 gallons of wastewater and directed it back into the sewer system, but approximately 200 gallons flowed from a manhole near the pump station into a storm drain that leads to the creek, the district's chief of operations John Clark said.
Crews shut down the pump station, drained the line and repaired the plastic pipe by 6 p.m. Tuesday, Clark said.
The district posted signs about the release and advised people to stay out of the creek, according to Robert Turner, a project manager with Marin County Environmental Health Services.
Water samples were taken Tuesday and Wednesday, and more will be taken today and Friday, Turner said. The samples will help determine the bacteria levels in the water.
The sanitary district informed all the regulatory agencies that must be notified about the spill, including the California Emergency Management Agency, county environmental health services and the Central Marin Sanitation Agency, Clark said.
sewage spill, water, north bay news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Serious accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 46 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown 24 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
15 min ago