North Bay News
SF boy rescued from Russian River on Sunday
SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. -- A 13-year-old San Francisco boy was taken to a hospital after being pulled from the Russian River at Steelhead Beach near Forestville on Sunday afternoon, a Sonoma County sheriff's lieutenant said.
The sheriff's office responded to a report of a possible drowning at the beach, located near 9000 River Road, at 2:45 p.m., Lt. Steve Brown said.
A 15-year-old girl said her 13-year-old brother was in distress in the river before he went under water, Brown said.
He was pulled ashore by someone swimming in the river, and a citizen tried to revive the boy before paramedics arrived, Brown said. It was initially reported that the boy was under water for more than five minutes.
The boy was taken by ambulance to Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa then by helicopter to Children's Hospital and Research Center in Oakland.
sonoma county, north bay news
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- Windy conditions cause damage around Bay Area 16 min ago
- Man with ties to Boston suspect fatally shot by FBI
- Group wants parents to boycott Harvey Milk Day
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Woman's cremated ashes washed away in fire
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
22 min ago