North Bay News
SF boy rescued from Russian River on Sunday
SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. -- A 13-year-old San Francisco boy was taken to a hospital after being pulled from the Russian River at Steelhead Beach near Forestville on Sunday afternoon, a Sonoma County sheriff's lieutenant said.
The sheriff's office responded to a report of a possible drowning at the beach, located near 9000 River Road, at 2:45 p.m., Lt. Steve Brown said.
A 15-year-old girl said her 13-year-old brother was in distress in the river before he went under water, Brown said.
He was pulled ashore by someone swimming in the river, and a citizen tried to revive the boy before paramedics arrived, Brown said. It was initially reported that the boy was under water for more than five minutes.
The boy was taken by ambulance to Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa then by helicopter to Children's Hospital and Research Center in Oakland.
sonoma county, north bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case