North Bay News
SF boy rescued from Russian River on Sunday
SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. -- A 13-year-old San Francisco boy was taken to a hospital after being pulled from the Russian River at Steelhead Beach near Forestville on Sunday afternoon, a Sonoma County sheriff's lieutenant said.
The sheriff's office responded to a report of a possible drowning at the beach, located near 9000 River Road, at 2:45 p.m., Lt. Steve Brown said.
A 15-year-old girl said her 13-year-old brother was in distress in the river before he went under water, Brown said.
He was pulled ashore by someone swimming in the river, and a citizen tried to revive the boy before paramedics arrived, Brown said. It was initially reported that the boy was under water for more than five minutes.
The boy was taken by ambulance to Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa then by helicopter to Children's Hospital and Research Center in Oakland.
sonoma county, north bay news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support 3 min ago
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed 22 min ago
- Another mistake found in BART union contract 25 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water 43 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test 19 min ago
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban 22 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
48 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos