North Bay News
Burlingame girl falls off boat at Lake Berryessa
NAPA, Calif. -- An 8-year-old Burlingame girl fell into Lake Berryessa today when she was overcome by carbon monoxide from the idling motor on her family's boat, a Napa County sheriff's captain said.
The girl was on the back end of the boat around noon as it slowly approached a dock at Markley Cove at the south end of the lake, Capt. Tracey Stuart said.
The exhaust began to affect the girl, who was wearing a flotation device, and she fell into the water, Stuart said.
The girl's father saw her fall and rescued her, Stuart said.
The close call comes on the heels of a drowning and a near-drowning over the weekend.
On Sunday afternoon, Kevin Yip, 24, of San Francisco, drowned in the Pleasure Cove area of the lake when he jumped off a pontoon boat to swim without a flotation device.
He was seen struggling in the water before he disappeared. Sheriff's divers recovered his body Monday morning.
The same afternoon that Yip drowned, a 6-month old baby became trapped under a capsized boat on the lake. The child was taken to a hospital but is expected to survive, Stuart said.
burlingame, boats, napa county, north bay news
- Several aftershocks felt after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Bay Area man arrested in Czech murders case
- New details released in police officers' murders
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- BART board votes to relax rush hour bike ban
- Man exposes himself outside of hospital in SF 34 min ago
- Magnitude 8.2 earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Clayton resident ID'd as bicyclist killed in SF 19 min ago
- LA Kings beat SJ Sharks in Game 5
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: Bicyclist killed in SF; Body in canal ID'd
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday