North Bay News
New Superman ride gets stuck at Six Flags
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- Riders got stuck for an hour-and-a-half at the top of the new Superman ride at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo. Fire crews had to rescue the people stranded 150 feet in the air.
Six Flags spokeswoman Nancy Chan confirmed to ABC7 News that the Superman ride got stuck at 2:30 p.m. She said the two-car ride holds 12 people total.
The roller coaster car got stuck at the tallest point in the ride. The people were stuck sitting upright and not upside down.
Crews worked on the coaster car undercarriage. Rescuers say no one needed medical attention, but they did pass out water and sunscreen. In the end, the coaster car safely came down and all the passengers walked away unharmed.
"With the plan of releasing the train, if possible, that's our first plan of action. That's the safest. And second would be to rescue them individually if they had to. We were able to fortunately go ahead and release the train," said Vallejo Batt. Chief Raymond Jackson.
"We had one of our mechanics on the scene, engaging with the guests, within 15 minutes and as best as we can determine there was no mechanical situation whatsoever," said Six Flags Discovery Kingdom president Dale Kaetzel.
The car did seem to release OK and get down safely.
Jackson said they have trained with the big crane used in this rescue. Since this is a new ride, OSHA had asked that the amusement park keep the crane onsite and have an emergency plan in place. Crews say they actually conducted this kind of mock rescue scenario a few weeks ago and they say it was helpful to have that training to go on.
The attraction has been shut down until further notice.
You can follow Sergio on twitter at @svqjournalist.
vallejo, rescue, six flags, north bay news
- BART'S top cop to have auditor assess reforms
- AMA now recognizes obesity as a disease 37 min ago
- Fire concerns growing as July 4th approaches
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions
- South SF husband and wife charged with pimping
- New Colo. wildfire prompts evacuations of homes
- Dog that killed 6-year-old boy euthanized 2 min ago
- Panel restores some pay for lawmakers, governor 10 min ago
- ABC7 Top Scholar: Michael Yu 9 min ago
- Giants pitcher Sergio Romo gets ice cream flavor
- Blanco's 2-run triple in 7th helps Giants win, 4-2
- abcnews: Pope invites Down syndrome teen for a spin
- roundup: Controlled burn; Carjacking arrests
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 37 min ago
- ABC7 Top Scholar: Michael Yu
9 min ago
- Panel restores some pay for lawmakers,...
10 min ago