North Bay News
New Superman ride gets stuck at Six Flags
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- Riders got stuck for an hour-and-a-half at the top of the new Superman ride at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo. Fire crews had to rescue the people stranded 150 feet in the air.
Six Flags spokeswoman Nancy Chan confirmed to ABC7 News that the Superman ride got stuck at 2:30 p.m. She said the two-car ride holds 12 people total.
The roller coaster car got stuck at the tallest point in the ride. The people were stuck sitting upright and not upside down.
Crews worked on the coaster car undercarriage. Rescuers say no one needed medical attention, but they did pass out water and sunscreen. In the end, the coaster car safely came down and all the passengers walked away unharmed.
"With the plan of releasing the train, if possible, that's our first plan of action. That's the safest. And second would be to rescue them individually if they had to. We were able to fortunately go ahead and release the train," said Vallejo Batt. Chief Raymond Jackson.
"We had one of our mechanics on the scene, engaging with the guests, within 15 minutes and as best as we can determine there was no mechanical situation whatsoever," said Six Flags Discovery Kingdom president Dale Kaetzel.
The car did seem to release OK and get down safely.
Jackson said they have trained with the big crane used in this rescue. Since this is a new ride, OSHA had asked that the amusement park keep the crane onsite and have an emergency plan in place. Crews say they actually conducted this kind of mock rescue scenario a few weeks ago and they say it was helpful to have that training to go on.
The attraction has been shut down until further notice.
You can follow Sergio on twitter at @svqjournalist.
vallejo, rescue, six flags, north bay news
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Images released of shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 34 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun
- Pair sets record with BASE jump off world's... 12 min ago
- Minnie Driver faces body bullies, tweets nude photo 4 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan