North Bay News
SF man killed in motorcycle crash on I-80
FAIRFIELD, Calif. -- A San Francisco man died Sunday night when his motorcycle collided with another vehicle on westbound Interstate Highway 80 in Fairfield, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The Solano County coroner's office identified the victim as 40-year-old Robert Eugene Baker.
Baker was weaving through traffic at a high rate of speed on a 2004 Suzuki motorcycle when the crash happened just east of the southbound Interstate Highway 680 overcrossing around 9 p.m., CHP officials said.
The motorcycle collided with a Toyota Camry that was traveling west in the No. 1 lane at about 70 mph, according to the CHP.
Baker was ejected from the bike and landed in the No. 1 lane, directly in front of a westbound Nissan Frontier.
The driver of the Nissan, Long Ackerman, 51, of El Cerrito, veered to the left but was unable to avoid striking Baker, CHP officials said.
Baker was pronounced dead at the scene. An autopsy was under way Friday morning.
Ackerman suffered moderate injuries. The driver of the Toyota, Alexander Miller, 22, of San Leandro, was not injured, according to the CHP.
Four of the five westbound lanes of Highway 80 were closed for the investigation after the crash. The CHP is still looking into whether alcohol was a factor in the collision.
fairfield, crash, I-80, north bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support 6 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
38 min ago