North Bay News
SF man killed in motorcycle crash on I-80
FAIRFIELD, Calif. -- A San Francisco man died Sunday night when his motorcycle collided with another vehicle on westbound Interstate Highway 80 in Fairfield, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The Solano County coroner's office identified the victim as 40-year-old Robert Eugene Baker.
Baker was weaving through traffic at a high rate of speed on a 2004 Suzuki motorcycle when the crash happened just east of the southbound Interstate Highway 680 overcrossing around 9 p.m., CHP officials said.
The motorcycle collided with a Toyota Camry that was traveling west in the No. 1 lane at about 70 mph, according to the CHP.
Baker was ejected from the bike and landed in the No. 1 lane, directly in front of a westbound Nissan Frontier.
The driver of the Nissan, Long Ackerman, 51, of El Cerrito, veered to the left but was unable to avoid striking Baker, CHP officials said.
Baker was pronounced dead at the scene. An autopsy was under way Friday morning.
Ackerman suffered moderate injuries. The driver of the Toyota, Alexander Miller, 22, of San Leandro, was not injured, according to the CHP.
Four of the five westbound lanes of Highway 80 were closed for the investigation after the crash. The CHP is still looking into whether alcohol was a factor in the collision.
fairfield, crash, I-80, north bay news
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- New details released in police officers' murders
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup 40 min ago
- Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole
- Work to begin to replace bolts on new Bay Bridge
- SamTrans bus hits low hanging wire in San Mateo
- Woman hit by construction van in critical condition
- SF police launch distracted walking campaign
- SFO employee accused of stealing from luggage
- BART to vote on allowing bikes on rush hour trains
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: SF warehouse fire; Fatal bicyclist accident
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Mourners remember girl, 9, killed in Okla....
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos