North Bay News
Car fire starts 100-acre fire in Novato
NOVATO (KGO) -- It was a busy day for Bay Area firefighters. There were wildfires that broke out: one was in Portola Valley on the peninsula, one in Gilroy, and one near the Sonoma-Marin County line. The North Bay one caused major traffic delays on Highway 101 into the evening, but is now contained.
A raging car fire was the result of an accident on Northbound 101, just south of San Antonio Road. The driver hit a PG&E power pole sparking a blaze that burned nearly 105 acres.
"It burned from 101 almost to the Petaluma River," said Interim Marin County Fire Chief Jason Weber. "It was wind driven until it reached the slope of the hill and then ran to the top of the hill."
It was attacked from all angles with ground crews with hoses, three air tankers and a helicopter.
No structures were burned. The driver of the vehicle sustained non-life threatening injuries.
PG&E were working throughout the night to restore power to the affected 66 customers that were still affected by the power outage related to this incident.
novato, fire, north bay news
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco 34 min ago
- 8th stage of Amgen Tour of California kicks off in SF
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Shooting in Oakland kills 1, injures another
- Crews battle fire at inner Mission apartment building
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos