North Bay News
Man pleads not guilty to groping girls in Sonoma Valley
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- A man suspected of groping several women in the Sonoma Valley over the past year pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Sonoma County Superior Court to sexual assault charges.
Samuel Johnson Lyons, 36, of Sonoma, is charged with two felony counts of committing lewd and lascivious acts with a minor -- one under 14 years old -- and four misdemeanor counts of sexual battery. He is being held on $200,000 bail in Sonoma County Jail.
Deputy District Attorney Rosanne Darling said there are six victims in Sonoma County and that Lyons is suspected of seven "similar acts" in Santa Cruz County.
Sonoma police arrested Lyons for allegedly groping a 21-year-old woman as she got into her car in the parking lot of a Sonoma Safeway store on Aug. 14.
The suspect left in a teal Honda hatchback, but the victim took a picture of the car's license plate with her cellphone. Lyons was arrested near Petaluma Avenue and Linden Street minutes later.
Lyons was already wanted on a warrant for allegedly grabbing a woman's breast at a medical facility on Andrieux Street in Sonoma in May, Sonoma police Sgt. Dave Thompson said.
Sonoma County sheriff's Detective Cecile Focha said Lyons targeted young women and groped them in public. One of the victims is a teen girl who was sexually battered on Aug. 13, according to the sheriff's office.
Investigators had conducted surveillance in the Sonoma Valley for several months and had circulated a sketch of the suspect. After his arrest, Lyons was identified by the victims as the groper, Focha said.
Lyons next court date is Sept. 6.
santa rosa, sonoma county, crime, sex crimes, north bay news
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- SF burger joint open nearly 50 years about to close
- Sunday marks anniversary of Sierra LaMar's disappearance 8 min ago
- Cause of Mountain View house fire investigated
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches
- Tax payment scam cost Belmont woman $3,000
- Person stabbed during fight at SF's Dolores Park 39 min ago
- Woman Canadian goalie debuts in men's league 13 min ago
- Campaign to save dog in Arizona mauling case 51 min ago
- Two killed by suspected DUI driver in in Santa Rosa 36 min ago
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in...
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos