North Bay News
Dog helps sniff out invasive mussels in Calif. lakes
LAKE MENDOCINO (KGO) -- It's a case of one sensitive nose versus some very tenacious mussels. A dog named Popeye is being used in an experiment to sniff out invasive quagga and zebra mussels on boats in Lake Sonoma and Lake Mendocino.
Though the mussels are indigenous to the Ukraine, they've spread to the United States and have caused more than $500 million in damage nationwide. The invasive mussels reproduce quickly to overtake a waterway and destroy its natural habitats and fisheries. Lake Mendocino is one of the last places in the nation without an infestation.
The counties spent $3,000 to bring the chocolate lab in. Popeye is specifically trained to sniff out the invasive mussels, or even their larvae on the hulls of boats, "It would take me 15 minutes to check a boat," said Joel Miller, U.S. Army Corps. of Engineers. "The dog can do it in 30 seconds."
Debi DeShon trained Popeye. She says he regards the exercise as one big game, "When he smells the mussels, he sits down and gets his toy."
Through the holiday weekend, however, that didn't happen. After nearly 200 inspections, no mussels were found in Lake Mendocino.
But don't worry about Popeye. DeShon says he still got his treats, and enjoyed swimming in the water.
mendocino county, sonoma, north bay news, wayne freedman
- Man killed after metal pipe flies into car on I-580 30 min ago
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town 36 min ago
- Passenger vehicles face surprise inspections at SFO 31 min ago
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose 14 min ago
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- IRS official Lois Lerner: I did nothing wrong 23 min ago
- Events planned to mark Harvey Milk Day 4 min ago
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Historic Livermore light bulb briefly turns off
- Rankings released of best and worst airlines
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: Boy nearly run-over; Oklahoma aid
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town
36 min ago