North Bay News
Dog helps sniff out invasive mussels in Calif. lakes
LAKE MENDOCINO (KGO) -- It's a case of one sensitive nose versus some very tenacious mussels. A dog named Popeye is being used in an experiment to sniff out invasive quagga and zebra mussels on boats in Lake Sonoma and Lake Mendocino.
Though the mussels are indigenous to the Ukraine, they've spread to the United States and have caused more than $500 million in damage nationwide. The invasive mussels reproduce quickly to overtake a waterway and destroy its natural habitats and fisheries. Lake Mendocino is one of the last places in the nation without an infestation.
The counties spent $3,000 to bring the chocolate lab in. Popeye is specifically trained to sniff out the invasive mussels, or even their larvae on the hulls of boats, "It would take me 15 minutes to check a boat," said Joel Miller, U.S. Army Corps. of Engineers. "The dog can do it in 30 seconds."
Debi DeShon trained Popeye. She says he regards the exercise as one big game, "When he smells the mussels, he sits down and gets his toy."
Through the holiday weekend, however, that didn't happen. After nearly 200 inspections, no mussels were found in Lake Mendocino.
But don't worry about Popeye. DeShon says he still got his treats, and enjoyed swimming in the water.
mendocino county, sonoma, north bay news, wayne freedman
- Protest continues at CCSF; rally planned at city hall
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Brentwood students in trouble for nude selfies
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos